Palmer-Donavin is seeking individuals to be a part of our Driver Apprentice program in which we will teach you the skills required to obtain your Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). At the same time, you will learn the basics on how to become a successful, professional driver. As an added benefit, our company will reimburse all expenses associated with obtaining the license.
For this program we’re looking for highly responsible and dedicated employees who are safety conscious, highly organized, and detail-oriented. You must have a strong work ethic and the ability to communicate effectively with a positive attitude. You must be dedicated to delivering the excellent customer service our clients have come to expect.
During your apprenticeship you will need to log 500 hours of drive time behind the wheel. This will be done with the help of current, seasoned company drivers – your mentors. You’ll have the opportunity to ride with several different drivers so that you can get a clear picture of what it takes to be a successful driver for Palmer-Donavin. Your mentors will help you learn the basic, technical driving skills needed to obtain your CDL as well as the knowledge necessary to be a successful driver. After driving with a mentor, you will both need to sign your Apprentice Driving Log to track your hours. Here are the stages in the Apprenticeship phase.
1. Ride with a seasoned Palmer-Donavin CDL driver while he makes deliveries. Then you will drive the empty truck back to the branch.
2. Drive our equipment on our grounds. Practice backing and maneuvering the truck with a mentor.
3. Drive the transfer truck to practice driving with a load.
4. Drive a route and deliver products with your mentor.
After completing 500 hours driving, it will be time to take the skill and driving tests with the state. You may use our equipment to take the test. You will pay the cost of the tests, but the company will reimburse the cost after you have passed the exams and obtained your license. Palmer-Donavin will run your MVR again as a final condition to your promotion.
• Customer Focus - Knowing the (internal and external) customer business needs and acting accordingly; considers how actions or plans will affect customers; anticipating customer needs and giving high priority to customer satisfaction and customer service.
• Teamwork - Working as a productive member of a cohesive group toward a common goal, and contributing to team development and effective team dynamics.
• Building Trust - Demonstrates honesty and integrity; treats people with dignity, respect and fairness; strictly follows policies.
• Productivity - Maintains a strong work pace over time, exhibits intensity in completing work objectives.
• Work Standards - Sets high standards for self and team, ensures high quality of work, takes responsibility for outcomes and admits mistakes.
• Safety Awareness - Identifies safety issues and problems, takes immediate corrective action, makes recommendations to improve procedures.
• Sense of Ownership - Has a personal stake in the success or failure of the business and acts accordingly, takes pride in the work and in the company, treats company property with respect, has a drive to ensure company success.
Palmer-Donavin is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Work Place, a policy which prohibits the use, possession, and/or distribution of medical marijuana in the workplace.