Are you graduating college in the Spring 2020 and looking to get your foot in the door of a great organization? Are you willing to learn and grow as a Sales Apprentice to gain your own Outside Sales territory? Then Palmer-Donavin/Seal-Rite is the place for you!
Employee-owned and operated, Palmer-Donavin is a leader in wholesale distribution of residential building supplies and entry doors. We are headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, with 8 branch operations in Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin.
At Palmer-Donavin, we understand that our success depends on the success of our customers and our employees. For our customers, that means delivering quality products and exceptional customer service at fair prices. For our employees, that means sharing the profits of our company. Our recipe for success is no secret. We have thrived as a company since 1907 by sticking to our principles and being true to ourselves and our customers. We make money the old-fashioned way – through hard work – where honesty, integrity, and fairness guide our daily operations.
At Palmer-Donavin, we are not just looking for employees; we are looking for business partners. Being 100% employee-owned and operated, everyone in the PD family shares a commitment to ownership. As an ESOP, we offer the unique experience to work like an owner but commit to a work-life balance in keeping family a priority. For more than 100 years, Palmer-Donavin has been committed to providing exceptional customer service. A leader in building material distribution, we are built from employee owners who work hard to earn a relationship one order at a time. Our goal is to create life-long customers that will inspire us to never stop innovating and remain dedicated to our mutual success.
As a Sales Apprentice you will:
• Learn the product offering by: confering with customers, co-workers and vendors; attending training sessions; reading available literature and viewing product demonstrations for the purpose of answering customers' questions about products, prices, availability, acceptable substitutes, product uses and credit terms.
• Learn the basics of the inside sales function. Understand how to use Eclipse to message, create job Q's, enter sales orders, check availablility, procure product, check pricing, track order history and other duties as required.
• Answer customers' questions about products, prices, availability, product uses, and credit terms.
• Contact regular and prospective customers in coordination with existing outside sales reps to demonstrate products, explain product features, and solicit orders.
• Recommend products to customers, based on customers' needs and interests.
• Estimate or quote prices, credit or contract terms, warranties, and delivery dates.
• Consult with clients after sale to resolve problems and to provide ongoing support.
• Prepare estimates and bids that meet specific customer needs in conjunction with outside sales reps.
• Provide customers with product samples and catalogs.
• Identify prospective customers by using business directories, following leads from existing clients, participating in organizations and clubs, and attending trade shows and conferences.
• Monitor market conditions, product innovations, and competitors' products, prices, and sales.
• Develop a basic understanding of our methods of warehousing and distributing products and build relationships with operations personnel.
• Support your outside sales mentor by completing special projects, running reports, analyzing trends, providing administrative support and making sales calls.
• Learn basic purchasing concepts by studying with the Purchasing Manager, the General Manager and key buyers.
• Learn general credit concpets, policies and procedures.
• Learn strategic pricing concepts to understand how market pricing is determined and how to maximize gross profit as an outside sales representative.
• Complete all required reading and self-study as assigned.
• Role play sales presentations and cold calls to develop and enhance your sales skills.
• Learn and apply the basic concepts of the Palmer-Donavin strategic selling method.
Palmer-Donavin is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Work Place, a policy which prohibits the use, possession, and/or distribution of medical marijuana in the workplace.